Pages

15 Minute Fried Rice

Monday, November 24, 2014


I. Love. Asian. Food. No, like, you don't understand. I would eat take out every day if that wouldn't mean very, very bad things for my waistline and my wallet. 



I've started cooking a lot of Asian food as well which I love because it always looks so much more impressive than it actually is. Take my fried rice, for example. I can throw it together in 15 minutes with ingredients I already have on hand. All you need is white rice, veggies, eggs, soy sauce, and garlic. And you can easily make this vegan by just omitting the eggs. 

The first thing I do is start cooking the rice according to package instructions. This is the longest part of the process. Most rice I've used takes about ten minutes to cook and five minutes to fluff. I only made 1 cup, since it was just me and my boyfriend. 

While you're waiting on your rice, start chopping veggies. Use whatever you like! I love corn, carrots, peas, and onions, but this time I substituted green beans for peas because I didn't have any fresh peas. You can even use frozen vegetables! 


For two people, I made about half a cup of mixed veggies - about six baby carrots, six green beans, 1/4 cup of corn, and 1/8 of an onion. Throw them on the skillet over medium-low heat while the rice continues to cook. 

Next, you need to scramble an egg.  I like to whisk my eggs in a bowl, then pour them in a pan to cook. Once they are about 80% cooked, add them to your veggies. 

 I only use two spices for my fried rice: garlic and soy sauce. Feel free to add chilies to make it spicy, or lime to give it a bit of a zing. Unfortunately, my boyfriend can't eat spicy foods, so I had to keep it mild (still delicious though!) 

I use minced garlic. We use a lot of garlic in our house and this is a nice substitute for fresh garlic cloves, and it still gives the same great flavor. Add about a tablespoon of minced garlic, and two tablespoons of soy sauce. Continue to simmer to vegetables over medium-low until the rice is ready. Once the rice is done cooking, throw it in and mix thoroughly. Add another two tablespoons of soy sauce. This gives the fried rice its typical light brown color. 

Serve with some crumbled peanuts or a garnish of lime and you're done! So much faster than waiting on the Chinese delivery man (not to mention less expensive!) 





Here's the ingredient list, and a cost breakdown. 

  • 1 cup white rice ($0.20)
  • 1/8 cup each: sliced carrots, green beans, corn, and onion ($1.80)
  • 1 egg ($0.17)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic ($0.15)
  • 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) soy sauce ($0.67) 
Total price: $2.99 - That's cheaper than most delivery fees! And you're saving yourself a lot of calories. This dish runs at about 150 calories per cup. According to what website you check out, typical fried rice runs from 325-700 calories per cup. 

Enjoy the fried rice, along with a slimmer waistline and a fatter wallet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Girl With a Faux Pearl Earring.
Blog design by Blogdessert.