Pages

Fall Creek Falls

Saturday, October 17, 2015



Last week, I flew to Nashville to visit one of my best friends, Dixie. Even though we both had some work to finish up, we made time to explore Nashville, Murfreesboro (the town where she lives), and some nearby state parks. 

First, we visited Burgess Falls State Park. This park has three waterfalls, each one bigger than the last. Unfortunately, large sections of the park were blocked off due to structural damage. Still, we got in just over 2 miles of hiking and got to see the two smaller waterfalls of the three at the park. Since that park didn't quite work out, we headed to another nearby park. 

    

We got the selfies above at Fall Creek Falls State Park, which covers over 26,000 acres, including this gorgeous lake, which provided a gorgeous view while we ate lunch: 


 



Above is one of the many attractions, the Fall Creek Gorge. You can't tell from the pictures, but they were setting up for a wedding in front of this gorgeous backdrop! Fall Creek Falls State Park also boasts a hotel with a restaurant, multiple campgrounds, and a zip-line, not to mention several waterfalls. Below are the Cane Creek Falls, and the Cane Creek Cascades: 





I climbed all the way down to the base of the Cascades, but Dixie was happy where she was. Next, we ventured across the suspension bridge for the long hike down to the base of Fall Creek Falls. The bridge runs over the Cascades, which provides an amazing view! 




Quick stop-off at the first vantage point of the falls, even though it was hard to get a photo with us and the falls! 




I begged Dixie to hike down to the base of the Falls, and she finally agreed (I love you, girl!). Clearly, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. It was about a three mile hike, but most of the way was unpaved. At one point, we were literally climbing over boulders. Most of the path was made of stones haphazardly arranged into a "staircase." Since it had rained recently, they were slick - Dixie and I were clutching to the railing for dear life. Eventually, we made it, and the view was breath-taking. Definitely worth it. My pictures do not do it justice. 




Terrible picture quality, but after we got to the end of the path, Dixie decided to rest, but I kept going. (There was a sign marking the end of the path, but I didn't see it until afterwards, so I don't think it counts as breaking the rules). Embarrassing 90's kid claim - ever since the movie Zorro with Antonio Banderas, I've wanted to go behind a waterfall, so I was determined. I didn't realize how far it was until I got there and looked back. After snapping a few pics, I climbed back to where Dixie was, and we rested for a few minutes. 



After all the climbing, I took a picture of my jeans, because they were in such a sad state of affairs. I think Dixie and I both about the say way as my jeans looked - wet, dirty, worn out. Still, the sun was starting to set, and both of us agreed that the only thing worse than going back up the trail right away would be going back up in the dark. Luckily, the climb back was actually easier, because we weren't afraid of falling forward and sliding down a row of slippery stones. And, we got to see this beautiful view of the sun starting to set: 



A great reward to end what turned out to be a 10-mile day of hiking! More on my Tennessee adventures soon!



Outfit Details:
Vest: Banana Republic 
Shirt: Forever 21 (old)
Tank Top: Hollister
Jeans: American Eagle
Boots: Steve Madden



























No comments:

Post a Comment

The Girl With a Faux Pearl Earring.
Blog design by Blogdessert.