Pages

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015


2015 has been quite a tumultuous year, and I can't say that I have any hesitation to say goodbye to it! Here's a look back at the ups and downs of the last year. 



The year started out on an amazing note! Trevor secretly took me to a gorgeous botanical garden overlooking Sarasota Bay and asked me to marry him! (Obviously I said yes!)

January continued to be awesome, as my friend Carly and I road-tripped to Nashville to visit my friend, Dixie, and - oh yeah, find a wedding dress!


February was short and sweet, with a few outfit posts, but not as many as I'd like! It's so hard to keep up with when Trev and I both get home after dark! March and April were, uh, interesting. In March, I got laid off from my job of two years, running a summer camp and after school program. There were things about the job that I didn't love (pretty standard for any job, I'd say), but those kids touched my heart. I got the news the day before Trevor and I left for Costa Rica


We loved the trip, even with the stress of a finding a new job weighing down on me. When we got back, I started working at a pre-school full-time and a gym part-time. I was averaging about 70 hours a week and still not making what I was at the school, plus I lost health coverage, my 401k, and due to school holidays, about two months of time off. Even worse, I was miserable at my new job. After about a month, I decided that it wasn't worth it anymore. I quit the job at the pre-school and starting working full-time at the gym, making only minimum wage. I had to pull money out of my savings to scrape by, but for the first time I wasn't stressed out and I was enjoying my free time. That lasted about a month until I found a new job as a marketing associate. Trevor and I also celebrated our engagement with a party at my sister's. 


Shortly afterwards, one of my bridesmaids declared that we were no longer best friends anymore, and she was fine with it, so we decided to go our separate ways. I don't know if you've ever had a friendship-breakup before, but in a lot of ways, it's way worse than a romantic-breakup. When you breakup with a boyfriend or girlfriend, you have your platonic friends to lean on. It's weird to not be able to text someone you've known for seven years when you see something that reminds you of them. It also just hurts more - there are plenty of people I wouldn't want to marry, but a friendship-breakup is like saying, "I don't like you as a person." And that's a sucky feeling, even if you know the friendship probably wasn't good for you anyways. 

At that point, I pretty much stopped posting, although I stayed active on my Instagram. Some highlights: my little brother graduated Kindergarten and my mom took us on a great trip to St. Augustine, FL; I turned 24 and Trevor took me on a gorgeous kayaking trip, Trev started grad school, and I started a new job where I learned a lot (while maintaining my job at the gym). 


I also got a lot of criticism for talking about our wedding too much. Not all of it was direct, but it happened. I was also stressing about paying off contracts that we had signed before I got laid off without losing my entire savings account. Another one of my bridesmaids and I got in a horrendous fight, which led to her quitting the wedding too. Again, another friendship that I knew wasn't healthy, but it still felt horrible and embarrassing and awful.

All that wedding stress led me to write this post and this post. Things started looking up in October, when I went to visit Dixie in Nashville again. We had an amazing time visiting places like Fall Creek Falls and 12 South


I also got a small raise, which meant I could finally make ends meet without pulling from my savings or working 60+ hours a week. That took off a huge burden, you have no idea! 

This fall, I got to see Taylor Swift live, and I got my teeth straightened for the wedding. Work has gotten more and more stressful, but I'm optimistic that everything will sort itself out. In the meantime, I have six months to the wedding and seven until the honeymoon! I'm also looking forward to accomplishing my 101 Goals in 1001 Days

Here's hoping that 2016 kicks 2015's ass! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Girl With a Faux Pearl Earring.
Blog design by Blogdessert.