Pages

Book Club: "Not That Kind of Girl" by Lena Dunham

Friday, January 22, 2016


This book is a collection of essay that mostly describe Dunham's experiences with men, sexually and throughout her career. It also details Dunham's unlikely rise to It Girl of the Moment. 

I really have mixed feelings about this book. Some of her essays I couldn't connect with at all, some made me think, Oh my God, I'm not alone!, and some were just disturbing. Dunham talks about growing up in New York City, her very liberal college experience, and "making it" as a TV writer. She spends a lot of time (too much time, in my opinion) talking about her sex life. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sexual liberation, doing what you want, and shutting down slut-shaming. I just didn't expect to read about it in graphic detail. 

Dunham's humor is spot-on in many places, but in some of her essays I couldn't tell if she was trying to be funny, or why she picked that particular topic to write about. This book has been critically acclaimed, so perhaps it's just too far removed from my own experiences that I couldn't relate as well as others? 

Overall Opinion: 5/10
Would I Recommend? Read the first half. When you find yourself wondering if you want to keep reading, give it up. It doesn't get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Girl With a Faux Pearl Earring.
Blog design by Blogdessert.